Ok so I know that this is a little late, but it was a complete blast. When my mom came up to Rexburg, we both went to Education Week. Teachers from BYU and other LDS speakers come up to BYU-Idaho and BYU to hold Education Week. There are many classes that are held, from Atonement, to receiving Personal Revelation, to Mommy classes (organization, marriage, etc). We had a blast! Granted I couldn't go to as many classes I would have like cause I had to work, but I really enjoyed the ones that I went to. Also, Elder Bednar was there and gave a devotional. Mom and I got front row seats, which was awesome.
My favorite of all piano composers also came to Education Week, Marvin Goldstein. I absolutely love his work. I got to meet him and get a picture with him. We also went to a concert that he held on campus, and it was Amazing! He is wonderful and has super fast fingers for being an older man, I am so jealous, one day I will be able to play like him. He did a couple of medleys for us; Phantom of the Opera (my favorite), Fiddler on the Roof, and Sound of Music (which I also really enjoyed). I am hoping that he will come out with sheet music for them, I will so get them if he does :)
This is Marvin just as the concert was beginning. This is when he tells his jokes, but mostly he tells them throughout his concert; here are a couple of his jokes:
Roses are Red, Violets are Bluish; If it weren't for Christmas we would all be Jewish
What is a Jewish worst dilemma? Free ham
Jews are frugal, Mormons are Cheap
For those who don't know him, he was once a Jew and converted to LDS. I think he still participates in some Jewish traditions like eating Kosher foods, and I don't think he eats ham. So a lot of his jokes are jewish jokes.

We were sitting in the 2nd row, so we had some really good seats. Marvin saw that I had a camera and was trying to take a picture of him, so he posed for me and smiled. I felt honored :)

This is Vanessa Joy, and she has a beautiful voice. She and Marvin created a DVD of 18th and 19 century Christian songs and combined them with Greg Olson's pictures and created a DVD of music inspired by pictures. It was absolutely gorgeous, and the pictures went very well with their choice of songs. And I love her dress here. She looked gorgeous that night.
Here is a short clip of Marvin playing a part of his Sound of Music medley. It was unbelievable! I hope y'all enjoy it

And yes, I know this is a really bad picture of me, but I was super excited to be able to meet him. He wants me to go to Israel and do a semester abroad, that would be so awesome if we could actually afford it.
All in all it was a good week, and it was fun to spend some time with mom.


2 comments:
So awesome! I love his music too.
How exciting for you to get to meet him!! I love the pic. Sounds like you had a great week. And the bear thing looks so neat too!
Post a Comment