A year and a half ago, while my dad was participating in one of the many bike races in Texas, was nearly killed by being hit by a trailer pulled behind a pick up truck. Being thrown from his bike approx. 15-20 feet, with a couple of broken/fractured ribs and his pelvis a couple inches out of alignment and I am sure some other injuries. While dad was lying in a crumpled heap on the ground, the man in the truck got out of his car, and instead of making sure he was ok, accused my dad for riding on his road and how bikers should not be able to ride the roads. (Talk about a complete jerk right.) The only reason why my dad is alive and not paralyzed this day is because of his camel-back water pack and his helmet. His bike was all but bent in half, all gears and shifters destroyed, the water pack protecting his spine from futher destruction, and his helmet completely shattered. Doctors were surprised to see that dad could have survived the incident. The doctors gave my dad a 70-75% chance for a full recovery. My father to this day, is pretty much fully recovered and lucky to be able to continue participating in the sport he loves. If my dad were not as lucky, I would not have a father and I would not have been able to get my Father/Daught dance.
Today, a bike race called "The Ride of Silence" is a race in memory of those bikers who were killed or injured on the roads. My dad is one of those bikers who nearly losed his life and by the hand of God was saved. This year, my dad participated in the race "The Ride of Silence" and CBS a local newbroad cast crew did a small documentary about the race. In this race, they include information in my dads event because he is a survivor of many misfortunate others who were not as lucky. So please, share the road with fellow bikers and remember they are all father's and mother's, daughters and sons to someone.


3 comments:
I remember Regina telling me about his accident. I was so sad. This video made me cry. I love your dad!
I totally remember that! He definitely had someone watching over him.
So scary.. I love your dad!!
Post a Comment